Landscape Maintenance Specialist
Apply now! This recruitment is continuous and may close at any time.
The City of Irvine Public Works and Transportation Department seeks an organized and knowledgeable landscaping professional to perform water management using centralized irrigation controllers, monitor the City's landscape maintenance contracts, and document irrigation utilities for Underground Service Alert.
- Operate and maintain irrigation systems, including Calsense and WeatherTrak controllers, enter data, prepare irrigation reports, and program irrigation controllers.
- Oversee landscape contractors' performance and assist in the bidding, procurement, and billing processes.
- Locate and mark irrigation utilities for Underground Service Alert.
- Perform landscape development plan checks and reviews.
- May perform emergency repairs and be required to be on 24-hour emergency response (standby) or respond to emergency calls outside regular working hours.
- May work a variety of changing shifts in order to meet the maintenance needs of the department.
- Find additional information in the Landscape Maintenance Specialist job description.
- High school diploma or equivalent with technical training in landscape maintenance, water management, irrigation design, and/or troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Four years of specialized landscape maintenance experience or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- An Associate's or Bachelor's Degree in Plant Science or related field is preferred.
- Extensive background in landscape contracts, Irrigation, and horticulture management.
- Turf grass and ball field management experience a plus.
- Previous experience managing centralized irrigation systems, working in municipal or public sector organizations, and managing the work of contractors is highly desirable.
- Proven track record of outstanding customer service, situational awareness, and
Irvine is recognized as one of America's Best Places to Live, according to Money Magazine. The City of Irvine features anarray of entertainment and recreational opportunities including
exceptional parks, open space preservations, sport complexes, and master-planned communities.
The Public Works and Transportation Department is made up of over 150 staff dedicated to developing, and maintaining the City’s infrastructure to the standards and expectations set forth by the City Council and community. City assets includes streetscapes, open space, City parks (community and neighborhood), athletic fields, eucalyptus windrow trees, bike trails, roadways, traffic signals, and more.
The department is composed of 11 divisions cooperating to create a highly effective team. The divisions include Administration, Transportation Planning and Project Development, Transportation Review and Analysis, Neighborhood Traffic, Transit and Active Transportation, Traffic Management Center, Signal Maintenance, Streets & Right-of-Way Maintenance, Landscape Maintenance, Facilities Maintenance, and Fleet Services. Together these divisions provide essential services designed to meet City Strategic Business Plan goals.
The selection process will include an examination and conduct a background investigation prior to appointment. This recruitment may establish an eligibility list to fill future positions in similar and/or lower classifications within the organization.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Irvine is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. We encourage you to inform Human Resources at least two business days prior to the first phase of the selection process if you have a disability that may require an accommodation.